I spend a lot of time blogging and reading blogs and I want to highlight the photography blogs which I enjoy and/or learn the most from so you can bookmark them whether you are a professional photographer, a hobbyist, or just an enjoyist. Yes I think it’s fun to make up the occasional word now and then…. after all, I still want to make sure you have good organic reasons to visit our blog.
Without further adieu and in no particular order…
- Photofocus. This is Scott Bourne’s online magazine (they don’t consider themselves a blog per se which means they focus on creating content and do not allow comments on the site). Ally and I were first exposed to Scott when we saw him speak in Nashville at Imaging USA (a huge photography convention) a couple years ago. What impressed us about Scott was that unlike most of the speakers there he didn’t have anything to sell in his presentation. He just imparts knowledge and there is a lot of good information at Photofocus from new product reviews, info on the industry, stunning images (he has done some amazing wildlife work), and tips and inspiration. Highly recommended.
- Rosh Sillars. Rosh is based here in Michigan and his blog has become a go to for me for great information on the photography business. Lots of great info on social media for studios with practical tips and ideas.
- Hair Of The Dog. The Hair Of The Dog Blog is pretty much guaranteed to make you smile. Centered on pet photography, the “Session Spotlights” are awesome – such fun images of pets – dogs flying through the air with their tongues out – even the occasional mouse. We love to photograph pets here at Frameable Faces and we get a lot of inspiration from this site.
- The Collective. This blog is run by Andy Bondurant and focuses on photography, business, and life in general. His wife Kia is a photographer as well and she contributes to the blog along with many other voices from around the industry. I’ve guest posted on this blog before and I’ve learned a lot here. Andy and I even debated on a topic with a point/counterpoint before and I think I even almost got him to see my side (haha). The Collective pretty much became my Instagram manual once I upgraded to a Droid.
- PetaPixel. I love this site. Described as “a blog about photography geared towards tech-savvy photo-enthusiasts” there is much to enjoy here. You will find a lot of incredible images here as well as plenty of industry news and photography tips.
- MCP Actions. This blog is run by Jodi Friedman who is based locally in Metro Detroit. The primary focus here is Photoshop actions and workshops and if you use Photoshop and/or Lightroom you need to bookmark this site now. The blog is not limited to photo editing however, with plenty of other topics covered and I have had the honor of guest posting here twice. The first time included the debate between Andy Bondurant and me in the comments which I referred to above!
So there you have it – my top 6. We are always looking for recommendations for other blogs – please share with us! What are your favorites?